Photo Source: twincities.com
These are troubling times, and although most of us are probably bored out of our minds, there’s a LOT that can be done. For example, you could read all the books you’ve been holding for months, or pick up a hobby like embroidery. You could even learn a new language! Something that’s also very close to you is your kitchen, a magical, wonderful area in your home where delicious meals come out from and now is at your fingertips! If you are like me, who says there’s no way you could possibly cook, trust me, there’s no way until you’ve actually tried. Today, I’ve come to show you a very easy drink you could make that your family and you could enjoy, Dalgona Coffee!
Before we start, I’d like to give a little insight as to what Dalgona Coffee came from. Dalgona, or Ppopgi, is a sugary treat from South Korea that’s made out of melted sugar and baking soda. Dalgona was a popular street snack in the 1970’s-1980’s and now is a beloved retro snack in South Korea. It can have different shapes and different designs. Dalgona coffee is based on this sugary treat, but originates from India. It became known to social media when South Korean actor, Jung Il-Woo, made it in a T.V. show called Stars’ Top Recipe at Fun-Staurant. Home-made versions of this drink blew up in many South Korean YouTube channels and then made its way into the already trending app, TikTok. Now thousands of people around the world are trying this easy and fun recipe, and now it’s your turn!
Let’s start making DALGONA COFFEE!
Here’s what you need:
- 3 cups of Instant coffee (It has to be instant! Otherwise it won’t work! Trust me…)
- 2 cups of Hot Water
- 3 cups of sugar (Any type will do!)
- The amount of milk you wish to drink and ice
And that’s it! Really.
- Put the instant coffee, hot water, and sugar into a semi-large bowl.
- And Mix!
- And Mix! (There’s a lot of mixing, so using a mixer is recommended, like, really recommended.)
- Once you see that the mix is a golden color and the texture is similar to Nutella (The best comparison I could think of, sorry) the mixture is done!
- In a drinking cup, pour milk with ice. Put three spoonfuls of the mix into the drink and mix once more!
- The drink is done! Enjoy!
I found it really easy to make, the only issue I had was the fact that I was not using instant coffee when I tried. It took me three tries before I actually was using the filtering type of coffee. Please don’t make the same mistake as me.
The drink is delicious and even my dad, who is extremely picky about his coffee, enjoyed it and asked for more! If you think you are no good in a kitchen, don’t be discouraged. There are tons of recipes that are super simple and easy to make, like this one!
By Amaris Carrera (Broadcast Editor)